gototopgototop
Horizon line

The Friends of Allestree Park

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Former Ranger, Mick Day - Sad News

E-mail Print

It is with great sadness that we have to report that Mick Day, a former ranger of Allestree Park, who retired only three years ago, has passed away at the age of 57. He suffered a massive heart attack while on holiday (actually looking after a friend's dogs and cats) in Sweden.

His sudden death has been a great shock in that he seemed fit and healthy and was extremely active, going on long walks and tending his allotment, as well as taking frequent trips to London and elsewhere to visit art exhibitions, etc. In other words, he was really enjoying his retirement and getting as much out of life as possible.

mick day compilation

mick day collage 1

Mick, with his great knowledge and enthusiasm, was a great asset to our park. He was also an extremely nice and engaging person and he will be greatly missed by all who knew him. He was also a talented artist and photographer and interested in almost everything. He particularly loved the Derbyshire countryside and must have taken thousands of photographs of it.

Commemoration for Mick, 28th June

We have received this from Maureen Elliot, Mick's former partner.

Here are the details for Mick's Remembering Day. I would appreciate if people would let me know if they are coming as I am putting on light refreshments and want to know the numbers who are likely to come.

The date for Micks Remembering Day - is Saturday 28th June 11-1pm at Ticknall village hall. It is in the heart of the small village of Ticknall in South Derbyshire, 

As it is close to Calke Abbey I thought for anyone who wanted to, we will have a walk across the estate afterwards. 
It is also a stones throw from 2 good pubs , The Staff of Life and the Wheel Inn for anyone who would rather do that than the walk.

Ticknall Village Hall
Ingleby Lane
Ticknall
Derby
DE73 7JW

I have booked the hall from 10-2pm to include setting and clearing up time , but the event is 11-1pm.

It won't be a service as such ( please don't wear black). 
I am asking anyone who has a memory or photo to share could they let me know. I am trying to sort out a format for the whole thing.

I am going to get someone to act as Master of Ceremonies so that he/she could read things out if people don't want to do it themselves. If you want the MC to read your piece could you email me what you would like to be read please. 

I am making up a display board of photos so If you have a photo of Mick you would like to share could you either bring it with you on the day, probably put your name on the back, or make a copy of it, or you could email it to me if its on your computer.

If you have a garden with flowers could you bring a few to add to a vase.

Also I'd like it to be a lovely friends and family gathering so if you are able to bring a homemade cake that would be nice.
Please don't feel you have to do all or any of the above but one little thing from everyone who comes will help it to feel the personal event I'd like it to be. 

Looking forward to seeing you 

Best Wishes
Maureen

If you can let me know that you are coming, need any further information or to tell me what you would like to read or have read - just email me (click on button below).

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

I am adding more tributes to Mick on this page from the people who knew him. Please send via the website ('contact' link on the home page).

Bill Grange

From Steve Plant:

Mick was one of life's hidden gems as those who were lucky enough to have known him will confirm: A scholar, knowledgeable and enthusiastic about many subjects, kind, supportive, compassionate, a born diplomat amongst many other fine qualities. 

He was a very skilled and artistic photographer. When out on walks with Bill and myself, Mick would see something in a scene that Bill and I hadn't or couldn't see. When back home Mick would skilfully enhance these seemingly unimpressive scenes and email them to us, at which point they looked wonderful!  

His enthusiasm for life was very infectious. On some walks the weather did its best to deter us, (usually when Bill was away on holiday!), but we usually ended up laughing in the rain, snow or fog. As Mick used to say 'We are alive and that's what matters'. It was almost like he knew time was short. All too short, as it turned out.

We had so many plans, so many walks to do again, so many new ones to do. Mick wanted to know north Staffordshire better, Greater Derbyshire, as he called it, an area I grew up in and was looking forward to showing him more of. Clearly it wasn't meant to be.
Mick's beaming smile and warm personality were a shining light in an increasingly dark world.

He was taken from us far, far to soon. The world will be the poorer for his passing. It was an honour and a pleasure to have known him, to have been able to count him as one of my best friends is beyond words. I hope he knew just how much we all valued him and always will.

From Pat Sear:

It will always be his place in Allestree Park that is, for me, the first and strongest memory, but he was so much more than that.

I got to know him when I became involved in both the Friends of Allestree Park and Derby City Pond Wardens. Mick was the person you turned to for help and advice,  it was then you realised the depth of his knowledge and the great gift he had for sharing it.  I thank him for his time and his enthusiasm and for sharing his love of the Park. 

He would talk of art exhibitions and places he had visited. He shared his love of 'Nordic noir ', lending books he had enjoyed, mostly Swedish authors. We talked of Wallander and 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' and of trips to Sweden.

I never knew he was an artist but his photography will be another amazing talent he will be remembered for. Others will know more of his love of walking and gardening and travelling than I, he was person who gave so much and took little. I am glad I met him.

From Peter and Jane Parkin:

What sad news. We have so many wonderful memories of our time with Mick Day when walking the park, as witnessed in the photo of Mick stooping to stroke our Heidi - he will be sadly missed.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 04 June 2014 11:31